Oqlat Al-Saqoor, The Historical Oqlat Al-Saqoor Mosque, which is considered one of the oldest heritage mosques in the Qassim region where the local residents in the region and the surrounding areas used to pray, and attend preaches and lectures, has been renovated as part of Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project for Historical Mosques Renovation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, under which 30 mosques in 10 regions will be restored and rehabilitated.
The Mosque is located in the northeastern province of Oqlat Al-Saqoor town in Qassim region. It dates back to 1341 AH, and it is one of distinguished heritage buildings that survived from the old heritage town in the governorate.
The mosque was built in the Najdi style of clay and stone at a total area of 480 square meters, with its roof made of wooden panels, and used to accommodate about 230 worshipers. It consisted of a prayer house, Al-Sarah, a retreat, a water basin, and places for ablution.
After renovation, the historical Mosque currently consists of a prayer house, Al-Sarah, a prayer room for women, restrooms and ablution places for men and women, and a storehouse, and can accommodate 250 worshipers.
The mosque, which was a destination for the locals to learn the proper recitation of the Holy Quran, used to play a social role where people held meetings to discuss their daily affairs and solve problems and disputes.
Bandar bin Saud Al-Harbi, the imam of the historical mosque, said that this mosque is an integral part of the history of the region, as it was the main pillar in building a righteous society.
The head of Oqlat Al-Saqoor Center Saad bin Mutib Al-Shatir noted that the mosque serves not only as a worshipping place but also a place where people meet and discuss their daily affairs, adding that citizens appreciate the restoration of the mosque as a very important step that helped preserve the history of the country and ancestors.
Source: Saudi Press Agency